Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Karen's Happy

I have been listening to my Ipod a lot lately. I don't know if it's because I have been going to town more and I need something to listen to on the 20 minute drive to town and the 20 minutes back out or that it's been -15 all week and I have taken 3 long hot baths everyday for the past week and need something to listen to, or I am just missing something that me and Cody used to share a lot and haven't in awhile.

The play list on my Ipod, that is the BEST EVER, is Karen's Happy. I bet I have listened to all 25 or more songs on that play list everyday, 3 times a day for the past week. Of course seeing family everyday would be #1 in the missing department, but coming in a close second would be dancing the night away with Cody. Every song on Karen's Happy is a song that is sentimental to us. To our favorite dancing songs or songs that tell our story better than we could or random songs that Cody has heard on the radio and then runs home to find on Itunes so I can hear it, because it reminds him of us :) We have spent nights dancing our hearts out over the last 7 years and there isn't any place around here to go. Sure we have our living room but it's just not the same. The smell of an old dance floor, the slippery powder in the corner that helps with the spins, visiting with friends, people watching, listening to one good country song after the other and loving everyone of them and saying, "man, I haven't heard this song in forever," or "I love love love this song!"

I am not sure why I love old dance halls so much. Every time we find one or go dancing it just brings a flood of memories to us. Our first date was dancing, well kind of. It wasn't really a date, it was more like, "hey, I think you two would hit it off, you bring your friends, I will bring her and her friends and ya'll could meet." So we did. Cody was so shy that he didn't say one word to me all night, but we would all be on the dance floor shaking it and a slow song would come on and somehow our eyes always found each other and we would just smile, that's all it took. Then we would fight the crowd and eventually make our way to each other and dance the whole 3-4 minutes of a song and not say a word....hahaha, but still feeling a connection with him. We still laugh about that! We even found a little dance place on our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic, although it was not my cup of tea in the music department......we had a great time!

Maybe that is why I love to go dancing so much with Cody. That is how we connected and how we became us and how we came out of our shyness with each other. Dancing in the living room on carpet just isn't the same.........I need a dance hall :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkXQnJZiph0

There's a place I like to go
Where the fast songs meet the slow,
And people come from miles around
Just to hear an old guitar sound.
Call your friends and I'll call mine.
We'll have ourselves a country time.
Get there early and have a few drinks
Loosen up step out on the dance floor
Now what do you think?

Yeah, It's a good night for dancing.
It's a good night for you.

A nice two-step might start out the night
Pretty soon we're half steppin' and the rythym's right.
A line dance and the cotton eye Joe,
I spin you around and here we go.

Yeah, It's a good night for dancing.
It's a good night for you.

Well it's last call and the lights begin to come on
And they announce it's the very last song,
I grab your hand and lead you on the floor,
Hold you in my arms and dance till we can't dance anymore.

Yeah, It's a good night for dancing.
It's a good night for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment