Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

3.13.03

Our Austin trip every year is very special to us.  It usually falls on or around the day we met.  In 2003 Cody ran into one of my very good guy friends that year in Austin.  They had known each other for awhile and had played basketball together in high school.  For some reason my friend told Cody he should come to Tyler the next week and meet me because he thought we would hit it off.  And he did!

My friend didn't tell me about Cody till the night before we were to go out.  I just knew my friend had some friends coming in and were were all going to go dancing on a Thursday.  The night before we were to go out I had made the comment I was going to pick up a shift at work and just work and not go out.  He then tells me about Cody.  At first I was like, "why didn't you tell me this SUNDAY when you came home?"  He said it wasn't a biggy.  Well being a girl I had a million questions, being a guy, he was annoyed, ha!  He did answer a few questions, he even dialed his number and let me listen to his voice on voicemail, ha!

I was never the one to randomly date.  I never dated just to have a date.  If I dated you I saw potential.  I had just got out of a short lived relationship and really wasn't ready for another one.  But I definitely knew what I wanted this time.  I had 3 specific qualities I wanted and I was not budging this time and not settling. I don't care to share those 3 qualities here:) 

The next night came and I wasn't nervous at all.  I figured if it was supposed to be it would work out.  I invited a few of my girlfriends for back up and we all met at my friends house.  When Cody and his friends showed up I couldn't figure out which one was the one I was suppose to meet, ha.  We left and went dancing in separate cars.  On the way there I was told which one he was.  I was happy!

He said maybe 2 words to me the whole night.  I could tell he was nervous and very shy.  We would all be on the dance floor dancing and a slow song would come on.  He would just stand there and just smile at me.  I wasn't going to come to him and walked off the floor.  As I was walking off the floor he grabbed my hand and brought me back to the dance floor. I was happy!  We didn't say one word the whole song.  We just smiled at each other, awkward, I know!  That shyness game went on all night. At the end of the night we said bye, nice to meet ya, and went our separate ways.  I had a blast that night, I remember.  I also remember he had 2 of my specific qualities and the 3rd would have to wait.

When I woke the next day, he didn't even cross my mind.  I went about my day like normal.  I had work, then a few classes then friend time! That night a few friends were over and we were bored.  Bored friends can lead to disaster and I don't like to think about what could have been if we did what we had decided to do.  We were out the door and I was locking up when I heard my house phone ring.  It never rings and I don't know what possessed me to go back in and pick up. So glad I did.  It was Cody.  I was happy! While I was talking, my friends trek back in and stare at me while I am giddy on the phone.  I think I was so giddy because I had fun the night before, he hadn't even crossed my mind all day, and now he was calling me.  I was wondering how he got my number because he sure didn't get it from me.  He was still in town and was at a friends house and he invited us over.  We headed his way and on the way we were all relieved we didn't go to the place we had originally set off for.  God, you are good, all the time!

When we finally get there, there is a ton of people there and he never left my side.  We had a good little conversation, laughed about the night before when we didn't say 2 words to each other and had a great night. His college roommate at the time was from Tyler and he was in town too.  We made plans to go to his roommates family's house and they were going to cook me and my roommate dinner and watch a movie.

We meet at blockbuster and we pick out a movie and follow them to the house.  They had made deer spaghetti.  It was good.  We watched the movie then played dominoes.  I think Cody fell in love with my mad domino skills:)  Cody took me home that night.  Walked me to my door and said good night.  The song Gloriana sings called (Kissed You) Good Night sums up this night.  "I dropped you off, just a little after  midnight, sat in my car, till you turned off your porch light, I should have kissed you, Just like I wasn't scared at all. I turned off the car, ran through the yard, back to your front door, before I could knock, you turned the lock, and met me on the front porch, and I kissed you good night, and now that I've kissed you, its a good night."

After that night I knew there was something special about this guy.  He went back to Nacagdoches the next day and stopped by to see me for a few minutes.  I still had my guard up.  I figured he would go back to Nac and act like any other 21 year old college kid and so I did my own thing in Tyler, thought about him a lot, and built up my guard even more.  That night he called me.  The next night he called me, and then the next.  He would call me just to let me know what he was doing and that he was thinking about me.  A few weeks later I learned he had my 3rd quality I wanted and I knew he was a keeper.  We did the long distance thing for 2 years.  It was hard but so worth the fight.

We had our first big make it or break it fight 8 months in.  I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life this boy and it would have been a lot easier to go our separate ways but so glad we fought for what we wanted.


10 years later we are still fighting for us and it is a oh' so good fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment