Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

DUKE VS RATTLESNAKE

News from Oklahoma!!!

This morning about 5:30am I feel Karen get out of bed and I here her open our window and yell at the dogs because they were barking non stop for an hour!! She shut the window and went into the bathroom and the dogs started to bark again, they were going crazy. So I get out of bed and go outside to yell at them, but when I get to the gate of their pen I can hear the rattler rattling away.
So I opened the gate and yelled at the dogs to come out and of course Drake is in high gear to exit and Duke starts toward the gate. But instead of coming on out, Duke decides to turn around and get one more bark in at the snake except this time he got a little to close and I see the snake strike at him. I see Duke jump back and run out the gate, but I did not hear a whimper from him so I thought the snake missed. After the dogs are out of the pen I grab the shovel and proceed to hack away at the 4 foot rattler.

After the snake is dead, I realize Duke has two fang marks right above his nose and it is already starting to swell. At 5:45am I call the Vet to see if I can go ahead and bring him and he said he would meet me up there. So our Big Blob of Love Duke is at the Vet getting Meds to help push the venom out of his system. I just called the Vet and he said that his face is about twice as big as it was this morning, which by the time I got him to the Vet it was pretty big, but that he is hanging in there and hopefully he will make it. Anyways, that was how our day started here in Oklahoma and I just thought everyone might like to hear.
Cody




3 comments:

  1. Babe he isn't a big blob of love! A big tub of love! I'm glad I'm as sick as I am, cause otherwise I might of had an emotional breakdown this morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! Your week just keeps on getting better! I hope Duke is better! I had a dog get bitten by a copperhead several years ago. It was late at night, so rather than call the vet, we just stayed awake all night. She was fine and she was a little dog...so you know Duke will be fine. Dogs are tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well keep me posted on how the dog is doing!!!

    ReplyDelete