Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

Our Oklahoma Family


We are bottle feeding three fawns in our house. I never would have thought that I would ever have a pet in my house, much less a deer! But they are so adorable and you can't help but fall in love with them. One thinks Cody is her momma, one thinks I am her momma and one thought Hannah was her momma, but since Hannah had to go back to Texas, I have adopted her!


Mom and Kim: You know you have 2 granddogs, but meet your granddeer! :)


This one is Hannah's (which I have now adopted). This is the one we call 'little girl' because she was premature at birth and weighed no more than 2 pounds. She is our miracle fawn. There is usually no chance for a fawn to survive if it is less than 5 pounds. She had a twin that was stillborn but this little girl came out kicking! Cody brought her to the house, asked us to try to get it to suck, hung his head low, knew there was no hope and left. I am usually optimistic more than the other, but I also don't live in a dream world and always prepaired for the worst. I made a bottle, loved on that little girl for 30 minutes with extra TLC and she started sucking down her first feeding! I had to hold her head up for her but she sucked! Even though I got her to suck, it still didn't look good. Everytime I got up to do something little girl would get up and try to follow, but her legs just wouldn't let her. So finally I layed in the floor with her for about 20 minutes and she just cuddled me up ( it might have been the other way around :). I had stuff I needed to do so I picked her up and took her to Hannah (she was sitting on the bed reading a magazine in her oversize comfy robe) and I knew little girl would be warm with Hannah. Hannah loved on little girl for awhile, while I did some chores. I told Hannah later on that I won't be able to take it when she dies. Hannah looked at me and said, "I made it and she will make it too." I think Hannah helped little girl get stronger while she was here!

This is little girl the second day we had her, she was able to lift her head on her own!

This is the second girl we started bottle feeding, we call her 'big girl' because she is the oldest and the biggest. She is so pretty and she has long eyelashes and all prim and proper acting! She was shy the first couple of days, but after that she would run around the house and play with 'Cody's girl'. We moved big girl outside on Monday. She was getting so big, she was jumping over the gate we had set up for her. At night we keep them in the wash room and put up a pretty tall barrier. She would jump over that thing and run straight for my side of the bed and just lay there. She would lay there all day if we didn't make her get up! She is doing good outside but I think she misses her girls!

This is the first one we started bottle feeding and we call her 'Cody's girl' because she is a total snob to everyone but Cody! She is 1 of triplets. 2 Boys and 1 girl. The plan was to bottle feed any fawn who was a triplet or just to weak to nurse. She was the biggest of the 3 and the healthiest but your not suppose to bottle feed buck fawns so we had to take her. The littlest one didn't make it so we were gonna leave the other 2 with the momma, but the momma was paying more attention to the girl, and the boy wasn't doing as good as we hoped. So we took her and her other brother is doing great!


She also thinks Cody is her momma, she follows him around the house everywhere and when he leaves she either finds a dark corner and pouts or cry and run around the house looking for him. Sometimes when she looks sooo sad that its hard to look at her, I will call Cody and put him on speaker phone and she perks up and starts prancing and kicking and bucking! It is so cute!
Since we are bottle feeding them they need 4 weeks of clean, sanatized living environment but most people do 6. Since they are in our house, I say we stick to the 4. The good thing about fawns are they only go to the bathroom when their moms make them ( only for the first month) So they only go when we make them, it's kind of gross so I will let this subject slide! :) Well the 4 weeks are almost up and Cody's girl is getting good at going to the potty all by herself! Not good in a house!
Glad ya'll got to meet our Oklahoma Fam!


Here is a pic of Cody's porkypine!


This little sucker hurrrrts! I wanted to touch it just to see how sharp their stingers are and I barely touched it and it hurt! Cody was wearing gloves and he had to pull the stingers out of the gloves! :)





Love, Karen









6 comments:

  1. You're a good writer, my dear. :) I laughed AND cried! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why'd you kill the pok-o-pine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys. What a great family. I did't think I would ever be a grandmaw to little dear. Little Girl and Big Girl are beautiful. I am so pround to call them my granddears. See you soon
    Love Yall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya'll will have to take the porkypine situation up with Cody..:)

    ReplyDelete