Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

O' Grass where art thou?


I knew when I married Cody that we would one day live on a huge ranch (in the middle of nowhere) with deer, exotics, buffalo, red deer, elk etc. There might be other people on the ranch, might not. Town would be an hour drive maybe 2! Well three years later......Bam! Here we are! I also knew that living on a ranch and taking care of the place, there was probably going to be a house provided on the land. I also knew that this house wouldn't be much, probably be 100 years old, or be just a run down shack. So I prepaired myself for the worst and made myself ok with the fact that I might not have a house that I could call my own for awhile. I wouldn't be able to pick the plan, color, layout, NADA, but I was ok with that because we would be happy together and my husband would be doing what he dreamed he would be doing!

When we first came to the place and interviewed and got the job we were told our new house would be a 'double wide'. These 2 words aren't the greatest 2 words to hear, but hey it was shelter! When we finally got to see the 'double wide' I was in awe. My double wide kicks your double wides blankety blankety blank! It is the coolest thing ever! Although it is way to big for just me and Cody, it will be just right in a few year ;) After getting over the initial shock of actually living in a descent house that has been provided for us, I thought, "if your gonna spend this much money on a double wide, why not build a normal size house that will not blow away in tornado alley." We have 4 bedrooms a huge closet and the biggest tub a girl could ask for, 3500 sq ft of pure home!
The only negative about this place.......the yard. There is no grass at ALL! The people who lived here before us would park their cars in the front yard.....so.....bye bye grass! We have grass on the side and the back of the house, but the front, nada. Well this gives me a project for the summer. We currently don't own a tiller and I am not gonna spend money on a tiller. Since this is western Oklahoma, it is soooo very dry out here and the ground is either sandy or red clay. Well our yard is red clay and hard to dig. Cody brought over a disc one day to try and loosen it up a bit, and it didn't work at all. So I soaked the yard, and started digging with a shovel! I dug and dug until my arm fell off, planted some bermuda and kept it soaking wet for 6 days and........

It is starting to grow....Woo-hoo! Well the sad part is I only did the right side of our yard and now I am dreading the left side. I started this morning digging again with a shovel, but I pulled something in my left arm and it still hurts, so I gave up for today! :)
Also, the breeder Doe are getting used to us. Cody walks their pens at least 4 times a day making sure the babies are thriving and I go with him at least 1 out of the 4. Some come up to us and lick our hands and some just love to get a good head scratchin! You can tell which one's have been bottle fed and which one's haven't....of course this one has been bottle fed! :)


So the next time someone comes and visits us.....we might have a pretty yard!
Love, Karen


2 comments:

  1. Hey girl! Just remember our yard looked like y'alls a few years ago! It still isn't going to make any magazine covers, but it's getting better! Your hard work will pay off! You're doing a great job on the blog too! Can't wait to see the place in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,that means a lot coming from the person with the best blog EVER! We can't wait for y'all to come see the place too!

    ReplyDelete